Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Thoughts and the Mental Body:
Thoughts are in fact powerfull conciousness seeds. They are often described as seeds that determine our destiny and can be often understood when we look at the effect each thought creates on us, as well as on others.
First of all, we think, store and process information because of the existence of the Mental Body. The Mental body is the medium of thoughts and ideas and is closely working with our emotional and physical bodies. It gives us the ability to think, perceive and process information, to imagine, to remember and to assimilate the results of experience gathered in each life. Without the existence of the mental body, thinking is impossible. In the process of thinking, what is created is a thought, with a form and a wave that affect the thinker and the outsiders. This thought is normally accompanied by the creation of a feeling and if strong enough, with an act. In fact the Mental World is the world of real man as “Man” comes from Sanskrit root of the verb, meaning “to think.” Therefore “man” means “thinker” and this thinking ability is what that can ascend human from an animal state, as well as higher states of consiousness.” Basically a thought creates four types of effects, two on the thinker and two on the world around him.
The effect of Thoughts:
- Mental Circle: The first effect on the thinker is to change him temporarily, into the expression of the thought. For example, if a person passing by a scene of an accident thinks about the victims, the thought of sympathy diffuses the quality of sympathy in his aura. This fills the aura temporarily with a soft leaf green color. Therefore “thought is both sculptor and character builder.” Geofferey Hodson
- Habits and repeatitive behaviors. The second effect of the thought on the thinker is creating habits by repetition. Our personality is to certain extent made up of our habits and habits can be changed if we change the content and quality of our thoughts. In fact modern psychology proved that new habits can be formed at any point of time in life. This can be done by the use of will or by repeating certain positive thoughts patterns over and over again, which creates impulses in the emotional and mental bodies. As we repeat this process the nerve cells as well as emotional and mental bodies become so well organized and integrated that the desirable act or behavior follows almost automatically. The technique of “Inner Reflection and Firm Resolution” in Arhatic Yoga basically uses the same pattern resulting in self-improvement. In fact this direct influence of the thought on our character is one of the most important topics dealing with mental body and thought, as character is the ultimate influencing factor that determines the course of life, our destiny.
“Character is the diamond that scratches every other stone.”
Cyrus Augustus Bartol
- Thought vibrations: Like all other vibrations, thought vibrations tends to communicate with any matter in the surrounding environment that is capable of receiving it. Since the surrounding is filled with mental matter, which responds to such impulses, a kind of influence is created. This is similar to the effect that a stone creates on water after dropping into a pond, radiating from the center in every direction. This vibration, has a circumference of influence and if strikes our mental body, it creates a tendency in our mind to produce a thought similar to it. This thought-wave becomes less powerful in proportion to the distance from its source. A strong, clear and definite thought in this case, will radiate further than a weak undecided one. Positive thoughts also by nature, affect a wider distance compared to negative lower thoughts. That is why in sciences such as Kriyashakti, the Science of Manifestation and books such as the Secret, the emphasis is on creating a strong, clear and definite thought that can become even more powerful through repetition.
- Thought forms: A thought-form on the other hand is composed of mental matter and has a) a form and b) a purpose. A thought-form is basically a temporary energy living entity animated by the idea that has generated it. Dealing with thought-forms, their quality determines their color, their nature determines their form and their definiteness determines the clearness of their outline. The strength of the thoughts and emotions determines the size of the thought-form as well as its lifespan. The effect of the thought-form unlike the thought-wave is a definite complete idea, but it can only reach one person at a time.
Impact of Thought Forms:
Thought-forms tend to affect us and others in three different manners:
- The thought-forms we create that are neither about us nor about others are left behind us. They are not attached to our aura, and not to any other person’s aura, but just floating in the air until they fade away. As long as they are active, they can affect the passengers who come in contact with them and who respond to the vibrations they send out.
- The thought-forms that are created about us, will get attached to our aura and follow us wherever we go. They in fact affect our thinking, feeling and behaviors.
- Thought-forms directed to another person or objective directly goes to that person and if it finds a vibration responsive to its own, will discharge itself. However if the other person’s mind is strongly occupied with other thoughts and emotions that it is impossible for the thought-forces to find an entrance, the thought-form will hover about him, waiting for an opportunity to discharge itself.
Energy effect of Meditation on the Mental Body:
Practising Meditation can be compared to taking a super cleansing Energy shower. The majority of people today carry gross emotional and mental patterns in their aura due to the way the think, feel and behave and the absense of free time for self-reflection. Meditation flushes and cleanses our aura of negative thoughts and emotions, making the mind clearer and sharper in three actual ways:
- Cleansing of our own thoughts and emotions.
- Cleansing from the negative thoughts and emotions coming from other people.
- Cleansing from the energy contamination received by living in big cities and corporate working spaces that occupy many people. These places have their own aura and affect our energy bodies.
When the aura gets clean, we see things more clearly, our thinking process is accelerated, inner stillness is established and a higher lever of awareness guides our judgement and decision making.
Study of the mental body, thoughts and their vast power in influencing a wide range of people and situations opens a new horizon in our life, bringing about a greater responsibility. No matter far or near, our thought pattern really does matter.
“Be careful with concentrated thoughts. If they are within the realm of reality, they will materialize.”
Master Choa Kok Sui
Master Choa Kok Sui. (2004). Achieve the Impossible, the Golden Lotus Sutras on Spiritual Business Management. Institute for Inner Studies Publishing Foundation.
Master Choa Kok Sui. Beyond the Mind, the Golden Sutras on Meditaton.
Hodson, G. (2007). Basic Theosophy, The Living Wisdom. The Theosophical Publishing House.
Leadbeater, C. W. (2008). The Power and Use of Thought. The Theosophical Publishing House.
Powell, A. E. (2004). The Mental Body. The Theosophical Publishing House.